After 3 weeks in Africa and eating lots of red meat on the Braai, I was craving a creamy pasta. This pasta, cooked al dente and tossed in a sage cream sauce with chunks of market fresh bacon, spinach and mushrooms was exactly what I needed.
- 4 servings of pasta, I used fettuccine
- 1 1/2 cups of cream
- 1 handful fresh sage leaves
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiana
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste ( I used about 2 tbsp of each)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Optional : bacon/ Chicken. I used both but to keep dish vegetarian, leave out.
1. In a large pot, bring water seasoned with lots of salt, to a bowl for your pasta. Read box for al dente instructions.
2. In a large skillet, sauté mushrooms in oil for a few minutes, then add in spinach.
3. Once mushrooms are lightly browned, add butter. Once melted add salt, pepper and garlic powder.
4. In a food processor or blender ( I used my magic bullet) blend cream and sage leave. Pour blend over mushrooms and spinach and turn heat down to a simmer to allow sauce to thicken.
5. Mix in grated Parmesan to thicken sauce. If you sauce is too thick, add some salted pasta water to your sauce.
6. Drain pasta and brush with butter. Season with salt and pepper before adding sauce to pasta.