I’ll admit. I was a little hesitant to try Swordfish, but I can assure you it won’t be the last time. I love trying new things. It’s very similar to haddock in it’s texture. Truly a beautiful, meaty, white fish. Perfect on it’s own or for fish tacos.( recipe makes 4 tacos)
- 2 swordfish steaks ( 10oz total)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp. butter
- salt n pepper to taste
Ingredients added to tacos:
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup arugula (per taco)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 tbsp. sour cream ( per taco)
- fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 onion, diced and cooked till transparent
- 1/3 cup diced jackfruit ( pineapple or mango)
- 1 tbsp. chili peppers
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- pinch of salt n pepper
Instructions for Chutney:
- In a medium sized pan, sauté onions and butter until transparent.
- Then add all other ingredients for chutney, and boil on medium heat for 20 mins.
- Reduce down to a simmer for 10 mins, with a continuous stir.
- After 35 mins, your chutney should start to form a thick coating on top. Continue to stir and thicken. Once thick. Turn off heat
- Let it reduce down to a thick mixture. Once it settles take off heat (min 40 mins) and store in fridge.
- Store in fridge for at least an hour or 2 to allow for thickening.
Swordfish cooking instructions:
- Rinse and clean fish in cold water, pat dry and set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan at medium heat.
- Once heated, place fish steak in pan with butter and season with salt n pepper and lemon.
- Brown one side and flip, let cook for 8 minutes.
- Move fish around pan, spoon butter and juices on top of fish and allow to sear. Repeat on other side. Use pan and juices to your advantage.
- Once browned on each side, break apart with a fork and tear off skin. You’ll know you’ve cooked it correctly if the skin peels off with no issues.
- Use a fork to separate thick pieces of fish for tacos.
- Build tacos as follows:
- Shell, than sour cream, lettuce spinach or mixed greens, fish, diced tomatoes, red onion. avocado, chutney, cilantro, BAM. Wicked fish tacos.
- ENJOY FOODIES!