This is one of my favorite recipes because it was passed down from my Mama, and slightly tweaked by me. I love the idea that one day, I’ll be in the kitchen, passing down recipes to my kids.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey or maple syrup (I used maple sugar)
- 2 tbsp. sriracha
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- pinch of chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix first 3 ingredients together well and taste. If it’s too sweet to your liking correct by adding more vinegar, if not sweet enough, add more brown sugar.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well. I use a mason jar for 2 reasons. 1 it’s easy to shake and mix ingredients together and bbq sauce is good for 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Best for chicken or Ribs. Apply sauce only in the last 4 minutes of cooking so that it won’t burn. Place on one side of the protein of your choice, then flip and coat other side.
- Once protein is cooked, I always coat both sides with sauce again and turn off the bbq, shut the lid and allow sauce to build up for one minute before removing.